First Form Greek Complete Set
This set is also available with Online Video Instruction.
Based on the revolutionary First Form Latin series, First Form Greek is written for parents and teachers with or without a Greek background. Its goal is to present the grammar so logically and so systematically that anyone can learn it. At the same time, we have adapted the Latin First Form Series to account for the differences between Greek and Latin, such as the new alphabet, overlapping sounds, more variation within paradigms, and less regularity. First Form Greek overcomes these challenges with the addition of weekly vocabulary reviews, more frequent recitation, and an “expanded” dictionary entry for Greek verbs.
First Form Greek teaches ancient Greek. Its general vocabulary and grammar will prepare the student for further study focused on the Greek New Testament and Septuagint or Classical Greek authors like Xenophon and Plato.
Recommended Prerequisites: At least two years of Latin grammar (ideally First and Second Form Latin) and the Greek Alphabet Book. However, students who are new to Greek may spend additional time in Lesson 1 and learn the Greek alphabet that way. Students who have completed these prerequisites (Second Form Latin and the Greek Alphabet Book) may begin First Form Greek as early as 6th grade.
This First Form Greek Complete Set includes the following eight items:
- An 9 x 7.5 inch Student Text, which is small, concise, and unintimidating with 31 two-page lessons on facing, uncluttered pages.
- An everything-you-could-possibly-need Teacher Manual that includes Student Text inset with answers in color, day-by-day lesson plans, weekly recitation schedule, oral drills, and additional notes.
- A full-size Student Workbook with approximately 6 pages of exercises per lesson. These exercises teach concepts through practice and mastery learning in a logical progression spread over four days. Also included are blank drill forms and two-page weekly reviews (Leson 4 ff.) of vocabulary, and later, grammar.
- A Quizzes & Tests booklet with reproducible weekly quizzes and unit tests that ensure material is being mastered, and a grading rubric for the teacher.
- A Teacher Key (for Workbook, Quizzes, & Tests) with answers to the workbook and quizzes/tests.
- A Pronunciation CD that includes all vocabulary, sayings, and grammar forms for each lesson.
- Flashcards for the vocabulary, Greek sayings, and grammar forms.
- DVDs (5 discs, 8 hours, 10-20 minutes/lesson) with superb explanations by Highlands Latin School teacher Elizabeth Pierce. The DVDs include helpful on-screen examples, charts, and all oral drills.
After finishing the complete set of First Form Greek, the student will have mastered:
- The six indicative active tenses of the omega verb
- Present tense of the to be verb
- Two noun declensions
- First & second declension adjectives
- Personal & demonstrative pronouns
- Approximately 130 vocabulary words
First Form Greek DVD Sample
Suggested timeline for adding Greek to your curriculum:
7th Greek Alphabet Book
Those wishing to add Greek earlier may use the following timeline:
4th Greek Alphabet Book
|Dimensions||11 x 9 x 5 in|
Tenth, Twelfth, Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh, Eighth
Cheryl Lowe & Michael Simpson