"I just wanted to tell you that my boys (ages 14 & 15) and I are absolutely loving First Form Latin. We are using the DVDs and we really like Mr. Moore's teaching. It is making Latin so much more understandable than the previous program we used."
Written by Cheryl Lowe (author of the best-selling Latina Christiana), First Form and its sister Latin products have been used by more than 100,000 students across the world to learn Latin!
First Form’s grammar-first approach focuses on grammar forms and vocabulary because these are the skills suitable for the grammar stage student. The First Form Series is for students of all ages because all beginners—regardless of age—are in the grammar stage of learning. Syntax (how to use the grammar) and translation are logic and rhetoric stage skills, respectively, and quickly overwhelm the student unless they are introduced at a slow, gentle pace and taught for mastery. First Form is the ideal text for all beginners, grades 5 & up, or is a great follow-up to Latina Christiana I at any age. Now every school and homeschool can have a truly successful Latin program that creates Latin scholars rather than Latin drop-outs.
Based on twenty years of teaching experience, this revolutionary "grammar-first" series will be your guide as you and your students successfully climb the mountain of Latin Grammar all the way to the top! The uniqueness of the First Form Series lies in two features:
1. It is committed to the trivium model of teaching grammar systematically in order to facilitate retention and understanding, rather than topically, to facilitate translation.
2. Extensive workbook exercises ensure skills mastery and rapid recognition of inflected forms.
*The First Form Latin Workbook Key is not needed if you buy the First Form Latin Workbook & Test Key. We make this version available for our customers enrolled in the Online Academy or similar courses.
After finishing First Form, the student will have mastered:
- The six indicative active tenses of the first two verb conjugations
- Five noun declensions
- First and second declension adjectives
- 185 vocabulary words
- Designed for students and teachers with no Latin background
- 8x8 inch Student Text, which is small, concise, and unintimidating with 34 two-page lessons on facing, uncluttered pages
- Limited vocabulary of 185 words
- Full-size Student Workbook with 4-6 pages of exercises per lesson
- Vocabulary derivatives and detailed explanations of Latin sayings
- Grammar catechism for daily rapid-fire review
- Milestone markers for each grammar objective
- Everything-you-could-possibly-need Teacher Manual
- Organized for easy access
- Student Text inset with answers in color
- Chalk-Talk scripted lessons
- Recitation schedule
- Pronunciation reminders
- Workbook with key
- Unit tests and lesson quizzes booklet
- FYI section for extra background
Sample DVD Lesson