Simply Classical Curriculum: Level C
Animals, Alphabet, & Aesop
Ages 4-5 (Chronological Age or Skill Level)
Designed for children with a chronological age or skill level of 4-5, Level C presumes an acquaintance with letters, numbers, books, listening, and learning. Level C helps you strengthen your child’s readiness skills with an integrated emphasis on animals and the alphabet. Lessons include traditional games and songs, stories, recitations, oral language exercises, number concepts, fine-motor activities, biblical literacy, and poetry.
- Prayers for Children (included in Level A Package)
- Simply Classical Curriculum Manual: Level C
- Wee Folks Bible ABC Book
- Aesop’s Fables for Children
- Animal Alphabet Coloring Book
- Animals, Animals
- Christian Liberty Nature Reader Book K
- Finding the Answers
- Hearing and Helping
- My Very Own Scissors Book
- Richard Scarry’s Best Mother Goose Ever
- Simply Classical Crafts Book Two
- Alphabet Book 1
- Alphabet Book 2
- Classical Phonics
- First Start Reading Student Book A
- First Start Reading Teacher Guide
- Simply Classical Letters & Numbers Desk Charts
- Going on Eagerly
- Numbers Book Part 1
- Numbers Book Part 2
Each day opens and closes with prayer, as the child receives a gently liturgical approach to his day.
In Level C, we introduce praying for others and service to others as an outgrowth of Christian faith. Devotional readings linked to each letter of the alphabet reinforce multiple lessons simultaneously.
Even in the homeschool setting, a formal recitation gives the child control over his mind and body by memorizing and speaking the early components of knowledge and wisdom.
Order and Routine
Level C helps the child understand the patterns of time through the use of a calendar and a clock. Daily discussions about weather help him observe the seasons.
Wonder in Nature
In Level C, the child hears amazing information about animals. Each lesson integrates the alphabet while introducing the child to a fascinating world beyond his own house. For the older special-needs child who needs instruction in the alphabet, numbers, and character, the animal lessons provide a deeper level of study than he might otherwise find in a readiness level. The animal studies foster a sense of wonder. These lessons also help prepare the child for the requisite concentration, listening skills, and attention span in his upcoming years while helping him appreciate the integration of learning, even at introductory levels.
Through Level C, you can help your child develop good early habits. He will learn and practice a proper pencil grip and proper letter formation throughout the year.
Show and Tell
Not limited to a school setting, this can be renamed Conversation, especially if other children cannot be present to listen. The child can prepare and deliver a simple talk about the topic or object, he can answer questions and practice his oral language skills in this way, or he can engage in a conversation with you. Regardless of the approach, this element of Level C allows for frequent opportunities to practice speaking clearly.
Aesop, Music, Books, Poetry, and Enrichment
Level C allows for the development of readiness skills while encouraging a delight in words. Enjoy!
The closing prayer of Level C helps the child see his own role in the world as one of loving service.
“Here are my favorite parts about the curriculum:
1. Ease of use. Everything is organized in lists: read-aloud books, craft and school supplies, and memory work. Each week is divided into daily lessons with detailed plans, including approximately how much time should be spent on each section. Need help starting socratic questioning? Follow the sample questions in the lesson plans.
2. Flexibility. The pace is slower and allows for additional practice or optional year-round schooling.
3. Thoroughness. The lesson plans guide you through teaching the material using the trivium approach with a multi-sensory presentation. The subjects are integrated and themed.”
“I wanted to write and say how much I LOVE Simply Classical Curriculum! I have two special needs boys adopted from Ukraine, and I am using Level 1 with my 8 year old and Level C with my 7 year old. There isn’t anything I don’t like about it. The pace, the review, the interesting stories, the Bible story book, the crafts and activities, the instruction, the recitations, etc, are all just excellent! Thank you so much for your service to all us parents in putting this fantastic curriculum together!”